I'll bet that no one even knows what movie this is, but it's from the 80's, has Deborah Winger in it, and ever single time it's on TV I stay up WAY too late watching it. Every time. "She mates, she kills". Classic.
OK, OK you people can laugh all you want, but this one is just plain unbeatable. The Captain and how he slowly and patiently woos Kate Winslet's character? Watching Hugh Grant be hot and a dork at the same time? And those dresses... I need say nothing more.I think that all desert island movie collections should have something really light, funny and will remind you that you were once a kid. Or maybe I just like hearing Elvis music played by a psychopathic alien. Whatever, this one is a keepah. My favorite moment is Lilo laying on the floor of her living room singing along to "I'm so lonely, I could die".

This pick is as much about the last book in the series as it is about this particular movie. The book was so good, so dark and so filled with true evil. This most recent movie adaptation is getting closer to what's so amazing about Potterness. It felt like we really didn't know that everything was going to turn out allright in the end. I like that. I like that a lot. And Luna, Ginny and Neville kicking some mighty Death Eater ass is worth any questionable acting by Daniel Radcliffe.
This last one made me realize that one of the things that really makes a movie work for me is the way the music is almost it's own character. For instance, I really like the movie Jerry McGuire - not because it's such an amazing movie, but because of a few really perfect moments of music and visual blending together. This movie has many of those, and good acting and a great story. I was torn between this one and the Royal Tennenbaums. What a great film. Alec Baldwin's narration is perfect, and the whole movie could rest on the moment when Gweneth Paltrow gets off the bus in slow motion to a song by Nico. Perfect.


5 comments:
Sarah! I've seen Black Widow a million times! I am so glad someone else shares my secret! It's so bad it's good!
I love Sense and Sensability! I am a sucker for the beauty and romance of that time. (I know it's just a movie but still, a girl can dream...)
Surprising choices. I LOVE Almost Famous, but I'm going to have to revisit a few of those and see Black Widow for the first time. Netflix, here I come!
I've never seen Black Widow... I too shall be netflixing...
I Loooooooooove Alan Rickman.
Post a Comment